Tuesday 30 August 2011

What this is, and what this is not

What This Is

I call this site 'My Black Dog', because Winston Churchill, known to suffer from depression, referred to his illness as his 'black dog'.  Subsequently, this has become a well known metaphor for depression, and this blog is going to be about my own black dog, or my own experiences with depression.  

What This Is Not


This blog will not be:-

1.  A catalogue of shit things that have happened to me
     I will sometimes discuss shit things that have happened to me, being that they obviously have a bearing on    how I am feeling and have an influence on my experience with the black dog, but I'm not intending this blog to be like one of those 'Tragic life stories' you see in disturbing quantities in any book shop nowadays.

2.  A place where I can moan and feel sorry for myself
     I already have many unfortunate friends who have to listen to that shit, I don't need to go on about it on here as well.

3.  A step by step guide on how to cure depression
     To quote one of my favourite geniuses, Leonard Cohen, 'There ain't no cure for love'.  There ain't no cure for depression either.  That's not to say that you can't feel better, get better or recover, but there isn't an out and out cure that works for everyone.  We all know that.  In no way am I gonna condemn or preach about any type of therapy or treatment that is available either, whether it is natural or 'unnatural', legal or illegal, whatever it is.  Who am I to judge or say something works or not?

So this is my idea of what it's gonna be about so far...


No comments:

Post a Comment